Wednesday 7 August 2013

Marketing and customer care



Marketing and customer care

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Hello again,
Today we look at how stellar customer care can serve as your greatest marketing tool. For a long while, I believed that true marketing involved making your business stand out in the midst of other businesses– which, by the way, is the essence of marketing. You strive to have as many people as possible notice you. You invest in the media, hire assistants and create a reason why people should pay attention to the business.
That was until I stumbled on a new ‘idea’ – customer care. The general understanding is that customer care is majorly for the benefit of already-customers, not potentials. You already scored these customers so you use customer care to keep them coming back. How about if the reverse is applied – you present your customer care ‘skills’ on the potential customers, and take care of their needs as if they were already in business with you. It may be argued that this is an unnecessarily expensive venture, but one thing I know is that the most expensive venture is not having any customers.
So, I tried a little experiment. When I needed something, I did not refer to any advert or approach any service provider. I wanted a mobile GSM device that could provide a wireless hotspot (which I could tether my laptop and Wi-Fi enabled devices from wherever I was and simply access internet on the spot). So I suggested the device I thought I wanted, and I simply put it out in a digital ‘market’ forum on the social media ..…and waited. I got quite a few responses (too few, considering all the advertising posts that run on the page). I did respond to the respondents with my own questions on the products…and ended picking an unlikely seller who was disposing off a used, personal phone!! And he saved me many thousand shillings I could have spent buying the more traditional wireless router, or endless cups of coffee at Java!!
So, how did the seller win my ‘business’? He had no problems telling me he had what I wanted. He could have let me source the details from ads on the page, and product information on the net, but he ‘engaged’ me in a discussion about the product, and after a short while, I felt like it was already mine!! He was very free with information (considering that the short conversation spanned about 72 hours, much longer than any advert I know, even my own).
Considering I applied the same tactic on all my potential customers. Like me, they may take 72 hours to decide if they actually wanted the product, but I will deal with them as if they have already purchased the product, and need a little help using it. This venture will definitely eat into my time and energy. I will also have to spend extra energy snooping around for ‘needs’. It will also mean that I do not have to spend on marketing my business the traditional way. I already have the customer care resources set up, so I will use them to market myself on the business platform’
I will definitely let you know how it goes, but I believe I will have good tidings from this venture.

Stay updated by signing up for more posts or bookmarking us and visit our Facebook page .
You can also purchase some of other items on sale on the online shop (don't worry, its secure) or the Pesapal simple shop
call/text/whatsapp +254725733412 or email me at mburu.njeri88@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

like and share..

Tweet Tweet...